Friday, July 28, 2006

Blog about Blog

This is the 4th time I've started a blog. It has become clear to me that what I like most about blogging is the technical aspect of setting it up. At least that's true so far. So, I might as well blog about blogging. It might even be helpful to others.

First, I have to say there are some nice reviews out there about different blog tools that are available. Here's a really good overview. There are other tools out there (like iWeb for example) but they are either new or very niche and not included in this person's review. If I find other comprehensive reviews I'll list them here too.

For me the criteria for chosing a blogging tool are:
  1. Free - I used to have a .mac account (see previous post about changing email address - I dumped my $99 a year .mac account) but I want to take advantage of all the free tool out there.
  2. Editable - I want to be able to use templates from 3rd parties. Or edit my own.
  3. Flexible - I want to be able to easily change setups as my blog evolves.
  4. Simple to use and setup - I don't want to have to code everything by hand.

I'm now trying Blogger because it seemed to fit best into my criteria. It's not a perfect fit (I still have to understand html and css to REALLY make the blog my own design) but it's pretty close.

My next move is to personalize the blog with a 3rd party template. Then to modify that template with my own header image. And then some additions for categories.

No comments: