Saturday, September 16, 2006

Becoming Dutch - Phase II, Part I update

Yesterday we received a letter in the mail from the Stadsdeel regarding our request to become a registered partnership. See earlier post about all those details. DB thought that the Stadsdeel would review and approve MY paperwork, then send it all off to the IND for THEIR approval, and THEN it was necessary for the Stadsdeel to have HIS birth certificate in order to finalize the partnership paperwork. That would make logical sense. Why would the Stadsdeel or IND need his birth certificate in order to approve or deny MY paperwork?

But noooo.

The letter states that so far the Stadsdeel is happy with my paperwork, but they won't go any further until they have his birth certificate in their hot little hands, and we need to bring the original copy of this letter with us when we drop it off. And THEN we have to fill out an "M46 formulier". This wasn't mentioned before and who knows what it's for. I just hope it doesn't cost money.

Since we didn't think it was important to hurry up with the birth certificate for DB, he applied for it online last week. It takes 10-14 days to get it in the mail so we should get it in another week. If we had gone there in person we could have had it on the spot. But what takes 15 minutes in person takes 10-14 days without someone breathing down their necks to get it done right away. Go figure.

The good news is that the Stadsdeel likes me and thinks enough of my paperwork to let me hook up with a Dutchie. Now it's up to the IND. A scary thought indeed. To be continued....

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi,

I saw your link from expatica. Great blog!
I have a small question after reading this article: if I understand right, you mean if you finish the partnership registration, you can apply the Dutch passport directly??

I’ve checked the regulation on the IND site, it states after 3 years of being living together / registered partner / married, you may apply the passport.  so my question is if the 3 years is counted from the day of registered partnership? Or living at the same address with you partner? Signing Samenlevingscontract?

I have the same situation as yours. My Dutchman and I bought a house more than 2 years ago so we have the samenlevingscontract instead of been registered as registered partnership at the gemeente.

We plan to get married next year and IND just approved my M46 document last week. So if the requirement of applying passport is counted since the day I lived together with my partner, then I can apply directly 

Did you also go back to US to arrange the birth certificate by yourself? Coz I heard the birth certificate can’t be older than 6 moths; I paid the expensive ticket to get this little paper. But somehow I think it’s quite strange coz how can your birth details been expired?

Thanks your sharing your experience!

Groetjes,
Hannah

underdutchskies said...

Hi Hannah, I read somewhere (Expatica I think) that the time begins from the date you share a residence. I think that means the date that you are "officially" living together with you having a residence permit. And when we went to the IND with our samenlevingscontract they said that everything was in order except that we needed to be a registered partnership or married. He didn't say that the time would start THEN. I think you are OK to assume the clock begins ticking at the date you first received your residence permit and began living with your partner.
But then I'll let you know for sure when we get everything done and head back to the IND!
As for the birth certificate - I had my parents pick it up for me since they still live in the same town where I was born. I agree, you are still born today the same way you were 6 months ago. :-) I guess I was lucky they took mine since it was older than 6 months.
I suggest you TRY with the paperwork you have first before spending time and money second guessing what they will want from you.
Good luck!

Unknown said...

Hi,

Thanks! What a relief! please keep the status updated on your blog. I'll come visit often:)

Well, I don't think I need to register our partnership anymore since I am going married next year and IND has just approved my M46 (BTW great service in the States! In my country we can only apply the single certificate personally coz you need to pledge in the court).

Best Regards,
Hannah